1.Prepare your workspace.
Things you will need for soap making
- Soap base,fragrance,colorant and any other ingredients your soap recipe calls for.
- Measuring shot glass
- Large Pyrex measuring cup
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Spoons
- Metal Whisks
- Soap (loaf cutter)
- Rubbing Alcohol in Spray Bottle
- Paper Towels for clean up
- Microwave or double broiler
- Paper Towels
- Saran Wrap
It’s also good to have a notebook on hand to take notes about your project.
2. Cut and Weigh Your Soap Base
- Cut your soap into half inch soap chunks
- Weigh your soap according to the recipe
- Place your cubes into the Pyrex measuring cup
- Wrap the top of your cup with Saran wrap (this keeps moisture in)
- Place your soap into the microwave for 40 seconds for each pound. If you have less soap divide accordingly.
- Stir any unmelted chunks of you soap base until fully melted.
- Remove soap and follow recipe intstructions
HINTS AND TIPS FOR MAKING BEAUTIFUL HANDMADE SOAP
1. If you are following a soap recipe or tutorial read it through first. Have everything prepared.
2. Do not make a large soap batch if you are not familiar with it’s ingredients. Soap bases,fragrance oils and colorants behave differently from each other. You will save yourself money by making one soap or small test batch.
3. Do not over heat your soap, it can loose it’s moisture and pouring fragrance oil into a too hot soap base can reduce the fragrance oil’s strength.
Please email us if you have any questions. Use the contact form on the left.
Here’s a great video to get you started!
How to Make Layered Melt and Pour Soap